Saturday, August 11, 2007

Hello. Goodbye.

" If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects , always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails."

1 Corinthians 13 : 1-8 (I cut off a bit of 8)

Zip left us today, after being warded at the animal clinic since tuesday. We decided that she'd deteriorated pretty quickly, and was probably too far gone for intervention to be of any help. I saw her yesterday, she could still wag her tail, stand, walk, though she kept her head lowered. Her eyes no longer retained the spark they used to hold. I'd always thought her eyes made her look so human, it was why I talked to her sometimes. They just seemed to breach the barrier that withheld understanding.

She couldn't stand when we saw her today. Not without my propping her up. And even then, she struggled to stay upright. Her hindlegs just gave way. She'd just lay there, motionless, save for her laboured breathing, and her occasional glances to the side. She hardly raised her head to look at us. She was probably too nauseated, or in too much pain. She gave us glimmers of hope, when she attempted to rise, or when propped up, tried to take steps. But she just looked too weak. We didn't want her to suffer.

I almost teared as I watched the vet inject the anaesthetic...and then the excessive dose of some kind of GA to let her go. She was still moving after the LA went in, but I didn't want to complain. Then she lay completely still after the 2nd jab. Thats when it hurt the most. The vet said she'd gone, after listening to her heart. I tried closing her eyes, but they wouldn't stay closed. We stood there for awhile, silent and in thought, hoping we'd done the right thing. Well, at least she's no longer suffering.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was driving home from church today. And I saw something extremely strange. I was in the right-most lane, and just on my right would be the road divider, with the standard green fence, and some hedges around it. So yeah, I was driving, and I saw, a girl, sitting in the hedges, on the edge of the divider, her feet and knees just inches away from the cars that passed her by. She looked like she was on the phone. Heck I dont even know why I'm talking about this, it was just incredibly weird. Maybe she needed help, if not physically, emotionally. I wonder what would make a person sit in that most precarious of positions, exposing herself to dangers just inches away. I wonder how long she was sitting there. Hm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home