Friday, June 16, 2006

A Close Shave in Geylang

Ok, before anyone gets the wrong idea. Its not THAT kind of close shave. Although we were pretty close to the heart of it all. But hey, I'm a decent guy. Really. So there we were, most of us full of good food, some of us tired and without any appetite (Ok, maybe just me). We were done for the night, getting ready to go home. After a quick check of how everybody was gonna go their own way...we kinda all decided to pack into my Honda City. All 7 of us. Haha. A Honda City's pretty small.

And then it happened. I turned out of Lorong 9 onto Sims avenue. I wasnt going really quick either. And you know how Geylang is, everyone walking all over the place like they own the road, left and right-most lanes taken up by parked/waiting cars, just bad and busy traffic in general. There was this one jaywalker who really caught our attention. Especially since he was right in my path.

An old man, unfortunately, was trying to cross the road, oblivious to his surroundings, or so it seemed, and especially unaware of oncoming traffic. Or at least, he didnt seem to be aware of us. I was almost filtering left when he stepped right in front of me, about 20m down the road. Better warn him I thought, and I did. His response? He just stopped right there, right in front of me, stunned, shocked, or maybe like nothing happened.

My response to that? I swerved. Right. Thankfully, there were no cars beside mine. I missed him by an inch maybe? Probably a little more. Ok, I had a more elaborate response than that, but its not really nice. So, the car was filled with screams and loosed sympathetic stimulation. Surprisingly, I felt pretty calm. And seriously, even if he's old, he should be aware, especially since hes taking a risk.

Sometimes, I really can't stand senior citizens who expect everyone else to give way to them. Giving them way(in general) is a privilege. Privileges shouldn't be taken for granted. Hope I remember that myself next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home