Sunday, June 18, 2006

Numero Uno

My first gig ever! Outside of church and other Christian events that is. It all happened so quickly, except for when I was waiting for the cab to rush to my Dad's Father's Day dinner. It all started one thursday night at 2am(Or rather, friday morning). A message from a stranger, claiming to be a friend of a friend (Kenneth), asking if I could drum for her gig on Sunday. That one message seemed to brighten and darken my day at the same time. It would be a chance to play different genres...meet new musicians...make friends...Would it renew my passion for drumming? But, would I be good enough? Was there enough time to put our act together? What would the gig be like? The setting? The people? Everything.

After a quick exchange of smses, I was quite entranced by the whole idea. So, I agreed. And then came two days of rehearsals. 5-6 hours in all. Hardly enough...but we had a great time jamming nonetheless! In fact, jamming was probably more fulfilling than the gig itself. When we reached Fort Canning, our set time got delayed and we had to watch other bands perform. I must say some of the bands were quite discouraging coz they just seemed so good. Well, we were a 2 day old band if you think about it. Anyway, we did the gig and that was that. There wasnt much of an audience. We were the last band playing. And I couldnt see anything off the stage thanks to the shining stage lights. The weather sucked too. Sticky humid Singapore weather.

Even though we didnt play as well as we should have...I still kinda feel like we succeeded in our own little way. We came together not knowing any of the songs(ALL original compositions by the way), not knowing each other, not knowing what to expect(well, at least me) and we still pulled it off reasonably. Haha. Now it seems like the door to the music scene has just opened a little wider for me. I wonder. And I doubt. Wish I took pictures to remember it all. Thanks to Claire, Leanne, Fadhly, Jase and Kenneth!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home