Monday, September 25, 2006

Back on track.

Woke up today to a cold morning...and to the sound of raindrops falling against my windows...Which almost made me happy coz it meant that I had an excuse not to run in school. But there was still the chance that the skies over school were nice and clear..and good for a morning of exercise. So I dumped my shoebag in the back..drove my dad and bro to work...and made my way to the src. After an errand, I still didnt feel like engaging in any activity. I'm just not a morning person. Mornings are meant to be spent in bed. Or at the breakfast table.

So, thank you, Aileen, for convincing me to run and not be a lazy slob, coz I hadn't run since last tuesday..which is pretty long if Im trying to be consistent with my training... So I compromised. Instead of going for a 40min run on grass...I decided to give the ol' 2.4 a shot. It IS, after all, what I'm training for ultimately. And also, 2.4 takes a lot less than 40 mins to do. So, why not?

Stretched. Did two slow laps to warm up. Apprehensively approached the start line. Placed my hand on the start button of my watch. And then I was off. It occured to me how I'd forgotten what a 2.4 pace ought to be. But I went on, it WAS a trial of sorts. Did the first lap in 1.20. Not a bad start, but only not bad if i could keep it up. Wanted to keep the pace at 1.30 a lap. There was always this fear that made me hesitate whenever i wanted to check my watch. But I did anyway.

I probably started to slow down on lap 5. Thats when my lungs started to burn more...my strides started to shorten..footfalls got heavier...Soon enough, I was running the 6th and final lap. Forced myself to open up...had to finish it well. I crossed the finish line, stopped the timer on my watch. And I half couldnt believe my eyes. I did 2.4 in 9.09 mins. Thats like....redemption from my 11 mins or so a few months back. I'd met my objective. All the runs had paid off. So..thanks are in order. In no particular order, to running buddies/mentors...Suriya, Aileen, Kok, Quan Yao and Hon( though it was only for 1 round around the field). Haha. I'm a happy man today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home